Has someone ever told you that you snore so loudly? Do you experience fatigue during the day? If your answers from these questions are Yes, then you might be suffering from sleep apnea. Sleep apnea is a serious sleep disorder that stops the person’s breathing repeatedly during their sleep. If left untreated, this will lead to several complications concerning your health.
Sleep apnea is divided into two types: Obstructive and Central sleep apnea. Obstructive sleep apnea is a common form of sleep apnea that is caused by a blockage of the airway. It usually happens when the throat muscles relax during sleep. Central sleep, on the other hand, occurs when the brain doesn’t properly send a signal to the muscles to breathe. Sleep apnea should not be ignored, whatever the causes are. Here are some of the dangers that are associated with sleep apnea.
- Daytime fatigue. People who are suffering from sleep apnea can experience daytime fatigue due to repeated awakenings every night. With sleep apnea, having a good night sleep is impossible to achieve.
- High blood pressure. Sleep apnea makes high blood pressure worse. When the body gets stressed from frequent awakenings at night, the hormone systems in the body goes into overdrive. This will significantly increase the blood pressure level in the body.
- Heart disease. People with obstructive sleep apnea are more likely to have a heart attack due to the repeated stops in breathing that makes it difficult for the body to take in enough oxygen. Low oxygen affects the activity of the brain in controlling the blood flow in the arteries and the brain itself.
- Type 2 diabetes. People suffering from sleep apnea are at high risk of developing insulin resistance and type 2 diabetes.
- Complications with medications and surgery. People suffering from sleep apnea are at high risk of encountering complications after major surgery because of their breathing problems.
- Liver problems. People with sleep apnea usually have abnormal results on their liver function tests, and their liver possibly shows signs of liver scarring.
If you suspect that you are suffering from sleep apnea, consult a medical professional right away and know the possible treatments to help you. Do not wait for it to become worse and take a toll on your body before you seek help.
If you’re suffering from a sleep disorder that causes breathing pauses, then it may be Sleep Apnea! Book your appointment immediately at Liberty Lake Smile Source for Sleep Apnea Treatment in Liberty Lake, WA.